Friday, February 12, 2010

Put an end to Gossip

I've been thinking about something alot lately, GOSSIP.
Just that word alone makes me sick to my stomach!

I think all over the world people experience gossip, either they are a part of the problem or worse, they're the subject.
Now, I'm not saying I've never gossiped before, I have and I'm not proud of those moments, and I can add, gossip is SOoo tempting, you start to hear something about someone and you just HAVE to hear more and then tell someone else, but that is the very instance that you should say, you know what, it stops here.

One thing that really bothers me are people who just live on gossip and sadly enough some of those people are right there next to you in church, maybe even your "friend", but you know what, if they're talking about other people, they're talking about you too, no matter how close you are.

I've had moments where someone wanted to tell something SO bad, but was told they could ABSOLUTELY NOT say a word, so they told the story without naming names, can I tell you something, THAT IS STILL GOSSIP!!
Not only is that completely unfair to the person you're talking about but it's unfair to the person you're telling it to, now that person is going to be thinking about that THING that they have no idea who it's about!

I wish I could say that some of these people who gossip are as young as me or younger but they're not, and I thought you grow out of the urge to gossip!

I found the following in an article online..."We live in a social society where we share in each other’s lives. We are also curious people, always desiring to be “in the know. Yet, gossip is not helpful. Gossip actually serves to break the trust of the people around you."

Spreading rumors only hurts others and destroys our credibility. Who is going to trust us with anything when they think we’ll tell everyone else?
I know some people are KNOWN for being the gossip, and those people don't get certain information for that very reason.

The Bible has a lot of important statements regarding gossip and clearly tells us to do more than discuss other people’s lives.


Leviticus 19:16 – “Do not go about spreading slander among your people. Do not do anything that endangers your neighbor’s life. I am the Lord.” (NIV)

Gossip also creates disunity in the church, if we are not unified then there is more room for Satan to attack us.



Proverbs 11:13 – “A gossip betrays a confidence, but a trustworthy man keeps a secret.” (NIV)


Gossip is also a way we judge others, which really isn’t our job. God is in charge of judging people, not us. Gossip really only ends up creating greed, hate, envy, murder.

Matthew 7:1 – “Do not judge, or you too will be judged.” (NIV)

Romans 1:29 – “They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips.” (NIV)

Knowing that this is going on between Christians really hurts me, maybe it's not about me, but are we not supposed to be a spiritual family?

If you want to avoid gossip, focus on creating helpful and encouraging statements. Let the gossip end with you and always remember, if you don’t want people to gossip about you, then don’t participate in gossip yourself.
Let's try to put an end to Gossip, and those in the church, we're spiritual family, let's come together in unity!

2 comments:

Tammi said...

I couldn't agree more. Once Bill Johnson said 'gossip is garbage'. It is true!! I am with you let's put on end to stinky gossip!

Sky said...

AMEN! It hurts my heart to hear stories and I try to just avoid gossip all around, sometimes I apear rude while one is talking, I will just up and walk away...hee hee