Thursday, February 10, 2011

The end of an era

NYC - Mindrelic Timelapse from Mindrelic on Vimeo.


My friend posted this video on Facebook, as I watched it, feelings bubbled up that I didn't expect...

My husband and I have lived in NYC for close to 7 years now. When we came here it was with mixed emotions of sadness and excitement. Sadness, because we were leaving family and moving from Texas, where we lived our whole lives. The feeling of not knowing what was going to happen and if we would be okay was scary, to say the least. Excitement, because we were finally going to prosper, finally be paid more and in such an amazing city, there was no telling what wonderful things we would experience!

New York City did not disappoint! I have done so many things I never knew I would do, I've met amazing people, and made friends that I never imagined I could have.
Every single thing we saw or heard about NYC was true! One thing I've learned, NYC never has to pretend to be more than it is...it just is...everything!

One of my favorite shows to watch is Sex and the city, minus all the innappropiate content, it talks about NYC like it really is. Also, the way Carrie talks about NY, like, she's in love with the city. I feel the same way...from the first moment I came out of the subway and stepped into Times Square, I FELL IN LOVE!
I found this quote and it perfectly describes my time here...

“One belongs to New York instantly, one belongs to it as much in five minutes as in five years”
-Thomas Wolfe

So true, I belonged instantly.

I love how Carrie talks about the city like it's a love affair, it is! But like any relationship, there are times that, even though you love it, you don't always like it. Here's another great quote...

“That's another reason I love New York. Just like that, it can go from bad to cute.”
-Carrie Bradshaw


We've had some rough times in the past 7 years, but that's part of living here, you tough it out and you end up coming out of it all a stronger person. Maybe that's what I needed, to learn independence and stength in ways I never felt before.
Well, NYC made me grow up fast, that's for sure!

Now with 3 kids it's gotten harder to keep our heads above the water, not financially but socially. You have to try that much harder to have a life outside of home, even just to date your spouse. Sometimes it even begins to get lonely and monotonous.

"Despite the fact that there are over eight million people on the island of Manhattan, there are times you still feel shipwrecked and alone." Carrie Bradshaw

The thought of moving from here saddens me greatly but I know it's what is best for our family right now. Maybe after my kids have had the chance to play outside, climb trees, ride their bikes around the neighborhood...maybe when they're older, we'll move back to my city and we'll begin that love affair all over again!

Until then, I'll hold onto my memories and my love.

No comments: