Friday, April 8, 2011

A New Season of Love

I was in the middle of doing a painting for a friend with my ipod on shuffle and the song "Arms Wide Open" came on and I put it on repeat for the duration of the painting. Towards the end I began to think about love, the way WE love, the way God loves. Is it the same, do we come close to loving like HE does? I know a lot of us strive to love like He does, but are we successful?

We all want to love like He does but, what if you then throw in some things that push some of our buttons? Like, politics, sexuality...can we love in spite of a persons viewpoint or lifestyle?

I know, I know, I'm talking about something here that is probably a touchy subject for some people. But did God say to love those who are unlovable except for those who are in sin or those who you completely disagree with? Um, I believe He meant for us to love them all. Oh, I get it, we can love them from a distance right? Or we can love them but still talk bad about them or look at them in disgust, right?
Am I the only one who sees something wrong with that picture?

"You have heard that it was said, "Love your neighbor and hate your enemy."
But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you" ~Matthew 5:43-44

Okay, but that was a looooong time ago and things have changed in the world! Well, honestly things haven't changed ALL that much. Sin is sin. That has never changed.
Jesus loved us all so much that he gave is very life. But He was Jesus. Right.

Jesus is a great example. Maybe we should take off the WWJD bracelets and actually THINK about what that even means. What would Jesus do? Who would HE love?

I don't want to hide behind the title "christian" and say, I can't be around them. I want to be real, be transparent. I don't want to try to pretend that my life is perfect, cause seriously, no matter how hard we try we will never, ever be perfect.

When I was done painting, I had the thought...red has always kinda been the color of love, and then I was looking at all the paintings I've done recently, I have used a lot of purple. I heard something like, "purple is the new color of love".
When I thought about what that meant I got a little understanding. God wants to change the color of love, He wants us to love in newer ways, even maybe change our mindsets of what LOVE actually looks like.

So...it's a new season for love. Hmmmm...

No comments: